Two RAF Typhoons Intercept Ryanair Flight After Suspicious Object Found In Lavatory

The aircraft was operating Ryanair's flight. Photo: Reuters

Two Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets were forced to intercept a Ryanair flight to London Stansted airport after "suspicious objects" were found in a lavatory.

The aircraft was operating flight FR7364 from Vienna to London Stansted. The flight bound to London was surrounded by police after landing at the airport for inspection by the Essex police.

In a statement the Essex Police said: 

"Counter Terrorism Policing officers from the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit have this evening (Sunday) detained two men under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act (2000). Inquiries are ongoing."

Two RAF fighters were deployed. Photo: Getty

Police have arrested a 34-year-old man from Kuwait and a 48-year-old man from Italy on suspicion of terrorism after RAF Typhoon jets were scrambled to intercept a Ryanair flight landing at Stansted from Vienna.  

Ryanair, which owns the Lauda aircraft operating the flight, said its crew was alerted to a 'potential security threat' while on board. The airline spokesperson said:

"The crew of a Ryanair flight from Vienna to London Stansted this evening was alerted of a potential security threat on board. 

The plane landed in a remote area. Photo: Flightradar24

"In line with procedures, the captain informed UK authorities and continued to London Stansted, where the aircraft landed normally and taxied to a remote stand where passengers disembarked safely.

"Passengers in London Stansted waiting to depart to Vienna were transferred to a spare aircraft to minimize the delay to their flight. This is now a matter for the local police."

Both the RAF Typhoons circled over the airport several times before the passenger flight had landed at the scene.

The aircraft landed safely in London. Photo: Getty

A London Stansted Airport spokesperson confirmed the plane had landed safely on the ground following the police incident.

Passengers onboard the aircraft revealed the plane had been parked up in a "remote area" before being surrounded by police. 

Passenger Joanna Czechowska said that they had been held for an hour with armed police surrounding them.

The aircraft was parked in a remote area. Photo: Getty

On Twitter, Czechowska wrote:

"Our plane is being held with armed police all around. We have been here for an hour now. They told us to put our seat belts back on.

"We are parked in a remote area. Nothing happening yet.

"The police have come on board and taken two men away.

"They found suspicious objects in the toilets and called the police.

"All seems OK now. That was scary!"

Regarding the incident an RAF spokesman said:

"Typhoon fighter aircraft from RAF Coningsby were launched this evening to intercept a civilian aircraft. The aircraft was escorted safely to Stansted."

The RAF fighter jets then headed in the direction of Cheltenham to be refueled, before appearing to return towards the base at RAF Coningsby. 

Have you heard about this incident earlier? Let us know in the comments below: